The Oil Cleansing Method uses oil to clean out your pores as opposed to soap or water-based ingredients. The Oil Cleansing Method operates under the principal of like dissolving like, and the idea is to use oil to reach deep down into your skin’s pores to dissolve oil in a way that soap and water can't. The oil also attracts and sticks to dirt and grim which can become clogged deep in your pores, which makes this method a gentle and effective way to remove makeup, dirt, sweat and excess sebum.
Sebum, your skin’s natural oil helps to keep your skin watertight from the outside, and to also keep moisture in. It is therefore a protective and necessary layer that heals, protects and moisturises your skin. When your skin produces too little sebum, your skin becomes dry, cracked and dull. When your skin produces too much, you can be battling acne or blackheads and whiteheads.
While this method can sound strange to those with oily or acne prone skin, the Oil Cleansing Method can actually help to improve and rebalance your skin’s level of sebum and help reduce acne. It is possible, you may need to allow your skin time though to adapt to this method of cleansing. It contains no harsh ingredients and because it is 100% oil, it does not need to contain any preservatives.
* Organic castor oil is the main oil used for its cleansing abilities. It is also antibacterial and antimicrobial.
* Organic watermelon oil is particularly good for use on oily, large-pored or acne prone skin. High in linoleic acid which helps to improve skin barrier function and acts as an anti-inflammatory. Rich in minerals and vitamins especially B vitamins niacin, magnesium and zinc.
* Organic jojoba oil is actually a wax and is very like human sebum. It is high in vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and E. It gently unclogs pores and lifts grime and imbedded impurities. It also helps to balance sebum levels.
* Organic tamanu oil is a remarkable topical healing agent with skin healing, anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antibiotic and antioxidant properties. Is used for acne and acne scars, skin allergies and boils as it promotes new tissue formation, accelerating healing and healthy skin growth.
* Organic rosehip oil has a very soothing, moisturising and softening effect on the skin, and is great for all types of skin. It is high in omega 3 and 6 which are involved in tissue regeneration.
* Organic peach kernel oil enhances skin elasticity and leaves skin very soft and smooth. It is great for sensitive, inflamed, dry or mature skin.
* Organic grapefruit oil has great antiseptic properties which protect against microbial infections which makes it wonderful for oily skin and acne.
* Organic lime oil is antibacterial, antiseptic and high in antioxidants. Has astringent and toning properties.
* Organic tea tree oil is antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and astringent and is used to treat oily and problem skin.
* Vitamin E is an antioxidant that can soften skin and prolongs the shelf life of oils.
How to use the Oil Cleanser
Use this method only at night before bedtime.
Start by immersing your hot cloth in hot water to generate a good amount of steam without scalding your face.
Place the hot, wet washcloth over your face, and leave it there for about 30 seconds.
Remove the cloth, and pour about half to one teaspoon of Oil Cleanser into the palm of your hand. Gently massage the cleanser onto your face in a circular motion for 1-2 minutes.
Wet the washcloth again in hot water, and place it over your face for another ten to twenty seconds.
Rinse the washcloth again in hot water, then use it to gently wipe the oil off of your skin. Repeat this step three times, or until you are sure that all the oil has been removed.
Pat dry with a towel.
If you wish, follow with a toner suited to your skin type which helps to close up your pores and remove any final traces of oil.
If you skin feels dry, apply moisturiser or facial oil.
In the morning just wipe around your face with a cotton pad with toner.